University of Pretoria 0-0 North West University Mafikeng

UP-Tuks and NWU-Mafikeng played to a 0-0 draw on a chilly Monday night at the Tuks Stadium as missed opportunities ruled throughout the match.

The university holiday did not stop Tuks supporters from coming out in full force, as their boys went head to toe against NWU-Mafikeng in Round Four of Varsity Football.

The visitors had a golden opportunity to take the lead in the 38th minute but their penalty attempt hit the post as the teams closed out the first half.
NWU-Mafiekng started the second half as they ended the first, constantly pestering Tuks’ defence with Tuks goalkeeper Dylan Patterson made to work hard numerous times in the second stanza.

Both teams showed great attacking intent throughout the second half but their efforts were thwarted by the opposition and had to settle for a 0-0 draw. UP-Tuks captain Simbongile Njokwe believes that the final result was a true reflection of the match.

FNB Man of the Match: Dylan Paterson (UP-Tuks)

Tshwane University of Technology 1-1 University of Johannesburg

TUT dropped two valuable points at home when they played into 1-1 draw against UJ in the Varsity Football match played at the TUT Stadium on Monday.

A victory would have put TUT four points clear at the top of the Varsity Football table. But despite the draw, the Tshwane-based side remain unbeaten in the competition with 12 points after playing four games, two ahead of second-placed CUT.

TUT finished the game with just nine men on the pitch after Godfrey Mahlale and Tumelo Mowa received red cards in the first and second half respectively. The game went to half time with both teams failing to find the back of the net.

TUT came out firing in the second half and looked the more likely to score of the two sides. However, they had to wait until the 73rd minute to find the back of the net thanks to a header by Sipho Sibiya following a well-floated free kick from the right flank to send TUT Stadium into scenes of jubilation.

The home side had a chance to increase the score in the 80th minute, when Sakhile Mthembu made a brilliant solo run from outside 18-yard box, but his shot missed target by a few inches.

UJ found their way back to the game though penalty, after one of their players was fouled inside the box. Tshepo Tolo took the responsibility to send TUT keeper, Dumsani Msibi the wrong way and silenced the home crowd with a well-taken penalty.

TUT defender Sipho Sibiya was named FNB Man of the Match after the game.

FNB Man of the Match: Sipho Sibiya (TUT)

Central University of Technology 2-1 University of the Witwatersrand

Following two successive draws on the road, the Central University of Technology (CUT) went back to winning ways at home to the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), beating them 2-1.

Wits’ Mahle Mtabane was the first man in the book when he was punished for a dive in the box. Persistence from Tumelo Njoti nearly paid off when he won the ball in the Wits box, only for Taole to let the chance go begging.

Wits no. 6, Tshireletso Motsogi, became the second man in the referee’s book after a high-boot challenge on his opposite number, Njoti. CUT were almost rewarded for their constant pressure when a long ball from Tshepo Tshikare found Njoti in the box. Wits goalie Brylon Petersen did well to force Njoti to sky his shot.

With 10 minutes remaining, CUT had a chance to put the game to bed through a counter, but Manopole’s cross was closer to the far post than it was to a teammate. Wits attempted to salvage a draw, but the home side held on to register their second victory of the tournament.

FNB Man of the Match: Orapeleng Manopole (CUT)